Spider being built with microservices, I needed good monitoring dashboards to understand what was going on, and to troubleshoot issues.
I first started with custom Kibana dashboard, but I couldn’t get all information or representation that I needed. And it was tough to get the cluster status at one side.
So I designed my own monitoring dashboards. And implemented them.
There are 6 dashboards to monitor Spider:
- Status summary – (link) – Summary visual picture of the full cluster at any time
- Applicative cluster status – (link) – Status of the applicative processing of Spider: speed, quality of parsing, circuit breakers, logs
- Servers status – (link) – Status of the servers hosting the cluster and its datastores: CPU, RAM…
- Datastores status – (link) – Status of the datastores: response time, speed, size, and circuit breakers
- Whisperers status – (link) – Status of the whisperers: state, uploaded data, quality of parsing, cpu, ram, queues, circuit breakers…
- UI usage status – (link) – History and statistics of UI connections…
To access Spider monitoring, you need specific rights:
- Administrative monitoring: access to all dashboards, for people managing the platform.
- Whisperers monitoring: access to Whisperers status dashboards, for people managing a set of Whisperers.
- It allows to check if Whisperers are running fine when we think we’re missing data.
- Especially, the KPI about quality of parsing
All dashboards include the same Spider timeline as for the analysis UI, with zoom, pan, selection… and different flavors.
By default, the TCP parsing status flavor is displayed, as it is the main quality indicator of Spider health.
A specific timeline, with different lifespan and flavors exists for UI usage status, as the data displayed there dates from the beginning of monitoring.
Charts visual synchronization
The different charts of each dashboard are synchronized and rendered with the same x axis so that it is easy to correlate the information of each graph.
When moving the mouse over the charts, a tooltip is displayed on each chart with the related data of each chart at this time.
The content of each dashboard is explained in the linked pages.